A friend has one of these for sale and he would like some idea of what its worth. Can anyone help?

His dad brought it back from Japanicon where he had been with the US Army of Occupation. This isn't a battlefield pickup, it was a turn-in after surrender in Japan. The finish on the metal is very good, the wood is dented here and there but not too bad. It still has the sliding bolt cover and folding bayonet. The bore is shiny, no pits, excellent condition. One thing I notice is that the rifling seems to be cut shallower than western military barrels are cut. The bolt, receiver and muzzle cap/bayonet mount all have matching serial numbers. I couldn't find serial numbers anywhere else.

The chrysanthemum is defaced by two shallow hacksaw cuts in an X shape, nowhere near as ugly as the ground off ones.

I should add, my friend isn't looking for top dollar. He would prefer a reasonably fast sale at a fair price and to a good home.

Comments?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.