Before I get into the rifle I've got to apologize for not even realising this board was here, which is pretty unobservant for someone who has been on CSPicon almost since day one.

A friend of mine bought one of the Nepal rifles mail order and brought it to me to refinish for him. I have no idea which model it is other than there is no cocking lever on the right side of the receiver like the ones in the movie Zulu and it is the short levered model as opposed to the long lever.

The rifle is a mess. It is covered with 100 year old cosmolineicon and rust and the butt stock has a huge crack the length of it and about 1/32" wide going through to the center. He bought it with inspection and return rights and I told him to return it and by a M1icon or a carbine instead but he insists that it's going to look beautiful on the wall of his eatery so refinish it.

I went to the Milsurps restoration forum and they told me to clean it "gently and lovingly" and not use steel wool or anything harsh on it, which is really good advice on a collector's grade rifle but this is a very neglected and sadly P.O.S. old rifle that's going to end up on the wall being glanced at by people between beers.

Long story short, a toothbrush with brass bristles, lots if OO and OOOO steel wool, half gallon of paint thinner and two rolls of paper towels later I've stumbled upon a rifle under all of that crud. The barrel has rifling, the short lever and drop block function flawlessly, it has a crisp trigger, great wood on the forearm, a rear sight no longer frozen in rust and generally "ain't too bad!"

I took the buttplate off, located the screw inside the hole that mounts the buttstock to the rifle and it won't budge after all this time. Question is, what to do? It's no longer a P.O.S. and it has great possibilites but it has that huge crack and I want to fix it somehow. If I could get that rusted screw out I might be able to clamp the wood and squeeze the crack together and get it to hold with some glue and a couple of countersunk screws. Or should I just use wood filler and let it go?????
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.