I've seen a few W&S rifles, owned three now, and seen several for sale on the CMPicon auctions. I've noted the rifles come typically with plugged holes or unplugged holes and I've been trying to figure out if there that fact relates directly to their usage. Most of the late 900's and 1 mil rifles I've seen are unplugged while most of the earlier rifles I've seen have the holes plugged. My question to those of you who might know is this;

Do we then assume these later rifles were never assembled as W&S snipers?

My thoughts are these later examples never left the factory complete and were stockpiled as recievers. My experiences are limited that is why I'm here but the three 1million number rifles I've personally handled were all unplugged carrying 1941 or 1942 barrels. I'm assuming these were stored as recievers and pulled out and assembled at a later date but I'm not an expert that is why I'm asking someone who might know.

All of the earlier examples I've run into have had the holes plugged aside from two, I'm assuming these rifles were the ones sent back in the late 1920's and had the bases removed. When the bases were removed the holes were either plugged or the bases cut off? Honestly not sure but some of the ones I've seen show some crude work, that is why I'm wondering if the bases were actually cut off.

Rifle 1013948 came to me unplugged with a 4-42 barrel and I put it back to its W&S configuration. Recently I picked up a 935k Reciever and a 927K rifle with a 6-27 barrel both with plugged holes. I'm just trying to figure out if it might be possible that the two I currently own might have actually been assembled as W&S rifles. I'm not sure if either would have made it to the front but sold the 1 million number I had believing it was never actually assembled.

Thanks.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.