Took the Mk IV to the range today. Temp at the range was 103F, light wind and probably 10% humidity. Shooting at 100 yards I was at first getting vertical stringing. I shot groups of 3, anything more than that and accuracy dropped off quickly. My grease cookies apparently aren't greasy enough. Probably too much beeswax and not enough olive oil. After 12 rounds (swabbing every 3 rounds) I let the barrel cool a touch and then went back at it. This time the vertical stringing was gone and I got some very respectable (for me) 3 round groups, about 3" maximum outside to outside. I am using a 480gr .466 bullet and Pyrodex RS equivilant to 80gr of FFg by volume. I even took several shots at the 400 yd plate off hand and although I didn't hit it I sure scared it! I had two lots of cartridges, one in which I used a purchased .45 greased felt wad between the GC and the bullet base and the other a piece of ungreased felt that I snuck out of my wife's sewing basket. The ungreased felt rounds seemed to shoot a bit better and since the felt is red I could see the remmnents of the red felt wads laying about 10 ft in front of the firing line where they dropped off the bullet. All and all a fun day even if it was a bit hot!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.