Was hoping someone could direct me to accurate reference material on the "sporter" carbines made by the Bernicia (CA) Arsenal for sale to NRA members through the DCM of the 1920s and 1930s.

Specifically, I'm trying to determine the particulars of how the BA Kragicon carbines were set-up. I've haven't been able to find much out there.

My understanding of the essential background on these guns is that, there being few real carbines available to NRA members who wanted a lighter, handier hunting tool than the 30" rifle, the NRA approached the Director of Civilian Marksmanship Sales about having the government arsenal at Bernicia convert existing 1898 Krag rifles to "carbine" configuration.

Apparently, this inquiry met with approval and a pattern or standard for BA-converted carbines was worked out. From what I've been able to find out this included: cutting down the barrel to 22"; using the barrel-banded front sight from a model 1903; retaining the 1901 rear rifle sight, putting the barrelled action into existing 1899 carbine stocks; sling swivels, etc.

I came into a Krag carbine about a month ago that pretty much tracks the above characteristics. Receiver states: "U.S. Model of 1898, Springfield Armory. Serial # is 21739X. The Arms Collectors search archives reference a born-on date of 1899 for the rifle. Stock cartouche date is 1899, inside a square w/ "Solette" or "Folette" above it. Sights, swivels, etc., are as above.

It's in great shape, with an excellent bore and crown, and nothing appears buggered-up. It shoots quite well at 100 yds, but I'm still getting use to it. I spent about 2 days cleaning the barrel. The former owner (who still owns six mint Krag rifles) indicated this was a BA-built carbine.

Thanks in advance for any help on references or sources that specifically discuss these BA-built DCM/ NRA carbines.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.