As previously mentioned in my other posts, I am close to purchasing a Lee Enfield No4 Mk1/2 (sorry to all those Savage and Long Branch buffs out there - I just like the bolt release mechanism on Britishicon-made LEs more) from Cabela's or the Reno Gun Show (if there is nothing suitable at the gun show, I am turning round and driving straight over to Cabela's - my wife has already given me the "you are a big kid" talk). As I fully intend to shoot the weapon, as well as gaze admiringly at it from a collector's point of view, I was wondering what would be the minimum ancilliary kit for day to day maintenance. I assume that a cleaning kit would be in order (what is the best source for LE cleaning kits?), but would I need any special tools for the stripping down and cleaning process? Should the rifle be stripped down to individual components and fully cleaned before shooting? Yes, I am a newbie, but I am an obsessive compulsive newbie who doesn't want to do something that ends up blowing off half my face and/or some fingers lol.

Fortunately, the rifle I have my eye on at Cabela's looks like it was looked after pretty well (only a few small dings, hardly any dirt on the metal and wood that will wipe off, and the fore and butt stocks look like they've only had linseed oilicon/tung oil on them - no polyurethane, thank goodness - I think it could be worth the $300 they are asking for it) but, as I have no idea of where to start, I thought I'd ask the guys in the know.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.