I just bought a Winchester M12 trench gun, serial # 1006XXX. I think that makes it a 1945/6. The stock has GHD and a small ordinance wheel. The receiver is US marked with an ordinance bomb. The barrel is 20in cyl bore with an ordinance bomb. The bad news is Bubba was the previous owner. He cut down the bayo/heat shield to just a small piece to support the magazine tube and brazed it to the barrel, threaded the barrel and installed a screw on choke, filled in the stock swivel slot, and installed a big ol’ butt pad. The good news is I paid $125 for it. I have a cheap piece of Chinese junk heat shield I installed for the short term while I look for an original. Someone told me a Win 1200 heat shield might be easer to find. Would a Win 1200 shield fit? As you can see in the picture, the bayo lug hides Bubba's handy work. The gun has lost quite a bit of its blue. I was thinking about a park job since the modifications have destroyed its collector value. Any thoughts on that. If I do decide to have it parked, I might consider a repro heat shield. Are there any quality ones available? One last question, I need a butt plate. Is it the standard plastic one like the commercial guns or something else?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.