This is not a joke, Togor, but a coincidence. I have a too loose ejector pin that seems to ride forward due to recoil. The rifle came from CMPicon BTW and is a gift for a son.

When I shot it the first time, during the second clip of ammo through it, the clip ejected with ammo still in it. When I examined the rifle, I saw that the clip ejector pin had slid forward into the stock, and out of the rear socket of the receiver. The result was that the clip ejector (that it rides through) was unsecured on one end (kind of cockeyed) and allowed the clip to eject. Also, there is a socket in the stock where the pins rides forward into, indicating this problem has been going on a long time.

Here are some ineffective fixes:

Fix 1: I bought a new pin and installed it, but it hasn't made any difference.

Fix 2: The stock where the pins slides forward is about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch from the receiver. I used some wood putty that sets up after 24 hours to try to fill in the socket, but that hasn't worked because when the pin slides forward against the putty, I still have to take the reciever from the stock, and it drags across the putty, damaging it, so that is a non-working idea.

Possible ideas for a repair:

Thought 1: Send to to Greece for a dunk in the "black goo" tank. (Just kidding on that Togor.)

Thought 2: Stake the pin in by slight peining the end (but which end?). Otherwise using some Loktight on the end that hits the stock.

Thought 3: Build up the gap in the stock and put a steel tab on top of it so the pin can't ride any further. (Like a tack that is put in the putty before it hardens.)

Thought 4: Replace the stock. (I don't think that will resolve the problem, but might make it shoot OK for a while. I recently refinished the stock and would like to keep it, but this is a case of function over form.)

Thought 5: Take it to a gunsmith. (There is a retired Army armorer here in town (near FT Benning) that may have some experience with Garands. He recently retired with 30 years so he may have some experience with M14s, but probably not Garands.) I think this might be my best bet. Sure don't want to give the son a gun that you have to tak apart every few rounds!

Suggestions- experince with similar problems and their cure-

Thanks in advance!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.