My first post-introduction post.

After not owning one for years, last week a purchased two Springfield Armory M1icon Garands, both produced in 1943 -
  • The first is a Boyd laminated-stocked Springfield Armory, built in December 1943. In March 1966 it was rechambered to 7.62mm NATO for the Navy (my first US Navy qualification was with a 7.62mm M1).
  • The second is a Springfield Armory, built in July 1943, and rebarreled at Springfield in September 1951.
The 7.62mm version shoots beautifully at 200 yards. Off the bench I was able to to shoot 93-3x, after not shooting open sights for years.

The one in .30-06 doesn't shoot nearly as well. At one hundred yards, on the bench, the shots rambled only within the 7-ring. I used some Lake City ammo, and also some Korean-made 150gr (I didn't expect much from it). However, neither would group all that well. I just finished scrubbing the bore with copper and powder cleaners today. I suspect, wthout having it tested yet, that the muzzle may have some excess wear. If so, I may end up having this one rebarreled. Since I bought it as a shooter, and only paid $450 for it, a new/better barrel would not bother me, cost wise.

I'm heading to the CMPicon store at Camp Perry in a few weeks, so I may just look at a barrel there, and have one of the local M1 guys install it, if I buy one. Before buying, does anyone have any knowledge on the CMP barrels?

In the mean time, are there any other user-friendly things to do?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.