Thread: SOME NEW LEE-ENFIELD RIFLE PARTS – COUNTRY Of MANUFACTURE ?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    02-23-2019 @ 09:51 AM
    Local Date
    05-05-2024
    Local Time
    08:25 AM

SOME NEW LEE-ENFIELD RIFLE PARTS – COUNTRY Of MANUFACTURE ?

This is my first post on “The Lee-Enfield Forum” (My only other posts were on the “M1 Garand/M14/M1Aicon Rifles” Forum back in March of 2009.).

A few days ago, I had the extremely good fortune to purchase some new Lee-Enfield parts from Craig Jones (crjay36 on eBay.com) in Great Britain. He is a SUPERB SELLER, he provides SUPERB SERVICE, and he sells a SUPERB PRODUCT at a SUPERB PRICE. I’d assumed that those parts were manufactured at the Pakistan Ordnance Factory, but after I received and examined them, I’m not sure.

Each of the No. 4 rifle extractors I purchased from Craig is electro penciled with what appears to me to be a “F” and a “Britishicon Broad Arrow” on its bottom flat surface. Do those markings indicate that those extractors were manufactured at the Royal Ordnance Factory at Fazakerley?

Each of the No. 5 MK 1 rifle backsights I purchased from Craig is stamped (not electro penciled) as follows: with a “P” in three (3) places – near the top of the front (upper) bright surface of its Suncorite coated milled leaf, on the left side surface of its Suncorite coated milled slide, and on the back (lower) surface of its Suncorite coated milled slide adjusting screw nut; with a “P” over a “5” on the top surface of its Suncorite coated milled slide adjusting screw; with a “CR 318” also on the left side surface of its Suncorite coated milled slide; with a “89” near the top of the back (lower) surface of its Suncorite coated milled leaf; and with a “46” in two (2) places – on the top (forward) surface of its Suncorite coated milled leaf, and on the right side surface of its Suncorite coated milled slide. Do those markings indicate that those backsights were manufactured at the Pakistan Ordnance Factory in 1946?

(From what little I know about Lee-Enfield rifles, I’ve never read anything about the Pakistan Ordnance Factory ever manufacturing any parts for any Lee-Enfield No. 5 MK 1 rifles. I’ve read that the Royal Ordnance Factory at Poole manufactured No. 5, No. 7, and NO. 9 MK 1 bayonets for Lee-Enfield No. 4 and No. 5 rifles, but all of those bayonets were stamped with a “P” inside of a circle. And I’ve never read anything about the Royal Ordnance Factory at Poole ever manufacturing any parts for any Lee-Enfield No. 4 and/or No. 5 rifles.)

[ PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED SIX ( 6 ) PHOTOGRAPHS ]

Thanks in advance for all of your replies!!

Ralph Van Buren (45B40-95B40)
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by 45B40-95B40; 07-07-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: ENGLISH mistakes