Just received a 97 at Christmas time (My younger brother passed away in July, and my nieces came over to my Mom's Christmas day and brought it to me. Said they wanted me to have a rememberance from their Dad, pretty special). I dated it to 1920 manuf., and it is a takedown, pretty decent shape but reblued, and Little Bro had the 30" cut back to 20" by a professional. I saw a heatshield /bayo lug attachment (real nice one) in a gunshop Tuesday near Houston for $119.00 and like it, but wonder what that does to the takedown function, and if the bottom of the barrel has to be grooved for the cross screws. It'sall original except for the blue and cut down, tight and mirror bore. He did not have the barrel d/t for a bead, which I understand the originals with heat shields did not have either. Was probably looking for a shield himself. I do kinda cringe at the thought of grooving the barrel though. Comments/ suggestions???

Also,Next question, I am having a fit trying to break the gun down. The mag tube is a bear to rotate, (by hand of course, would not use a cheater), and even rotated, the mag tube doesn't slide up. I have soaked the junction of the mag tube and take down joint with liquid wrench, which helped a little, but not much. I printed out takedown instructions, but am having a hard time being sure which way to rotate (looking at it from the end of the barrel). Clockwise from end of barrel, right? Slide forward, and tube should slide out slightly and the slide move forward more? Can you bump the slide (by hand of course) pretty hard to get the tube to slide up? Instructions say slide tube up first then move slide up to disengage.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.