Last On
    12-06-2008 @ 01:41 AM
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    12:50 PM

New Russian Capture K98, could use a little help

Hello,

I put $50 down on my first K98icon today. I want to sell a couple of things before picking it up, so as to stay in good standing with the wife. Anyway, it is an ugly “Russianicon Capture”, that looks to have been well used. Everything appears mismatched with electro penciled numbers on all parts. No sight hood, or cleaning rod. I’m completely new to the K98, so I haven’t bought a book on the topic yet. I’ve been doing some research on the Internet, and have found some info. I would greatly appreciate it if any of you, who may have some additional info on Russian K98, could shed any additional light on the characteristics of the gun.

First, it has a number of markings all over the gun, and on the stock. The metal isn’t very good. It looks to have been reblued, over some corrosion in places, and so it has a non-shiny, almost grayish look to the metal. Markings are as follows:

On top center of receiver is a 27 with an X below it, and below that a date of 1940. I’ve found some links stating that the 27 is Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (ERMA), Erfurt. I know nothing of the manufacturer. Is this a common type, and is ERMA German?

On the left of the receiver, it has an eagle with a circle, and swastika between it’s legs. I’ve seen pictures of these, but I don’t yet know what they are called, or what exactly the marking means. Again, any help would be appreciated. It also has a 4 digit serial number (I think), next to the eagle 1691.

On the right side of the receiver, it has 280 280 280 in a row.

On the left side of the barrel, just in front of the receiver is another eagle with swastika, and the same 4 digit serial number.

On the right side of the barrel is the 280 280 280. The 280' seem to have something that looks like wings above them.

Also on the barrel, but somewhat covered by the wood, are the numbers 5 and 9. Next to these is a “RU”. Where the barrel appears to screw into the receiver is a 792. Above the 792 there appears to be something that looks like small circle with lines going out to an outer circle. It looks almost like a tiny Mum, like on the Jap rifles. I guess it looks like a small spoked wheel. Does this mean anything?

The stock confused me more than anything. It looks to have a shellac on it, that has been peeling off. It didn’t look like a laminate to me, but the dark, thick shellac may have made it hard to tell. Anyway of easily telling if it is a laminate, or hardwood stock? From what I’ve read, it sounds as if the hardwood stocks are post-war replacements. That said on the

right side of the stock, below the sling hole, is the same (but larger) eagle with the swastika between its legs, and below the eagle is what looks a little wings, with a WA63, followed a another identical marking with a WA63 below that.

The buttplate looks nothing like the ones I’ve seen pictured. It reminds me of the plate off my Mosin Nagant. It had some markings, but I didn’t write them down.

Finally, I did notice one problem. The safety lever on the back of the bolt seems frozen in position. The gun fires, but the safety will not budge. The dealer offered to send it back, but I asked if they’d discount the price a little instead. She knocked $25 off. I don’t really plan to shoot it much, if at all, but do any of you think this indicates a major problem. Price after the $25 discount was $250.

Thanks very much for any help.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Doug S; 06-13-2008 at 05:50 PM.