Since we have a large "down under" contingent here, I wondered if the Auzzie Experimental sniper rifle as tested in May of 1944 has ever surfaced.
The rifle was a standard Lithgowicon SMLE with a shortened forend (just ahead of the band) NO front sight and a Pattern 18 scope with the low tower mounts. A very crude cheek piece and off set battle sights with the sighting distance being only the distance of the Pattern 18 mounts Not really a sufficient sight arrangement at all. Also, no provision for a bayonet. I've not been able to find the serial number of the rifle and only have a very poor quality picture of the rifle and scope with it being compared to the Auzzie No.1 Mk. 3* with Pattern 18 scope, with the high brackets, a second one with the low brackets and the Canadianicon REL with the No.67 scope.
Anyone have any info on this rifle and wondered if it made it back down under or was disposed of in the UKicon. I don't ever remember seeing it in the Pattern Room and doubt if it made it to Warminster, but hope to find out.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.