Thread: Classic Gunshow Story

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    03-26-2024 @ 07:30 AM
    On the right side of Australia, below the middle and a little bit in from the edge.
    Local Date
    04-29-2024
    Local Time
    03:44 AM

Classic Gunshow Story

Went to a gunshow today... quite a few No1 rifles quality varying from crap to some nice, prices were pretty much over the top though. There were two No5's at one table... three No4 T's with tags between 6.4K and 6.7k on one table and another one in the chest (no scope can) for about 6.5K. There were four Lee Metford/ Lee Enfield/ Lee Speed cavalry carbines on one table.. condition wasn't too bad on the outside of them, prices varied from 1.4 to 1.8K.

The one that took the cake was an unusual looking piece... receiver was pre charger bridge, barrel was obviously a 30" cut down to 25", front sight roughly soldered on... sporter cut foreend and no handguards. The label (two actually) said "Rare model Short Tom" then either experimental, or pre production or prototype... something like that... I couldn't hang around.. the dealer tried to make eye contact so I hurried off before I was forced to offend him... Wish I took a picture now... didn't see a price on it...

Anyone else go to Panthers today?

just a quick addendum... there was two freshly made foreends on one table... they were tagged "aussie carbine" (IIRC) and were machine cut very roughly out of some sort of timber.. looked like packing crate pine, actually... very wide hard and soft grain stripes, would have been near impossible to finish at all. The big issue was... they were machine copied off a SMLE range pattern foreend, complete with the groove under the front half for the clearing rod! I wonder who did his market research for him?
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Son; 02-18-2012 at 08:36 AM.