Am currently going through the collection looking for something to shoot at an upcoming informal WW1/2 commemorative get-together. Wanted to get away from the Lee Enfields for a while so tested two 30-06's- Model 1917 and this '43 03A3. Did a thread on this one a while back and concensus was it's a rifle that was re-furbed after very little use- 4 groove bore is like a mirror and wood is excellent. Bought it 25 years ago and it has been in the safe since. Found the peep sight excellent with the tall, thin front blade working well on the targets I was using. Trigger pull is different from what I'm used to shooting lately but I would call it very good with a 2 stage pull and crisp break. Didn't need to waste a lot of the Federal American Eagle I have on hand- a couple of shots to adjust windage and got the 100 yard 5 shot group in the photo. Center to center 2.6 inch with 4 in a little under 2 inch (crude bench with left hand supported lightly by sandbag). For fun I then dragged my target out to the max distance on this range (230 yards) and quickly shot a single 5 shot group (the yellow dots). 4 of these are 5 inch center to center with the 5th ruining things. The range calibration for this ammo seems to be a bit off (although perfect at 100) but I was holding the tip of the blade on the central red dot and if I moved it down to just below the black it wouldn't be too bad. All in all I was shocked by how well this rifle worked but I guess it should be expected out of a gun in this condition. The Model 1917 didn't do quite as well and will need some tuning. The 03A3 will likely be the gun I use at this shoot where the max range will be 400m (430 yards). Can anyone suggest some commercial FMJ 30-06 that might be closer to the range calibration of these sights?

Ridolpho
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.