I own a US Kragicon 1898 that is now in 'carbine' configuration. I doubt that this is a genuine carbine, but I'm chiefly interested in it as a shooter, and interested in what configuration it was originally made.

Is it possible to associate a serial number to rifle production or to carbine production? Serial number is in the low 132,000 range.

Stock is walnut, no numbers or stamps are visible. The forend has been patched skillfully with a rectangular plug, probably to cover a cleaning rod hole. The shape, form of the forend appear to be consistent with carbine photos that I have seen. There is no 'saddle ring' on the stock.

Stampings-
Receiver:
MODEL 1898.
U.S. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY.
132XXX
Barrel band, "U"
Rear sight base- "H"
Bolt handle: distinct "Z".Partial letter that could be an E,R,P or F. Partial X.

The rear sight consists of a sliding tangent U notch (with flip-up peep), is graduated from "2" to "20". Notch sight is adjustable for windage, and there are reference marks for windage adjustment.

The front sight reminds me of an '03 springfield or Mauser in overall design, but it is a commercial sight, I think. The front sight assembly consists of a collar which surrounds the barrel; the sight blade dovetails into this collar. "WESTSITE" is stamped into the front sight blade. It is thus unlike every authentic Krag front sight (brazed post onto barrel, no adjustment) that I have seen photographed.

From the muzzle to the fore edge of the cartridge loading opening in the receiver, it's 24 1/4 inches.

If the serial number matches up to a carbine- least likely possibility- somebody sporterized the front sight. Or more likely it's a modified rifle.

Either way, it's a shooter with a very good condition barrel.

But what do I have here- originally a rifle, or a carbine?

Thanks for any insight.

-FM
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.