I just purchased an SKS from Classic Arms. It was a "select by matching numbers" for an extra $20. They matched the spring cover, receiver, trigger guard and magazine. When I got it I found that it also matched the bolt and was stamped on the stock, all matching. The wood is ugly but is still coverd in cosmolineicon so it may clean up. Most of the bluing is gone from the receiver and spring cover. The bayonet and cleaning rod are there but the cleaning kit is missing.

The serial number is E1968. There are no other markings on the gun, no armory marks, no importer marks, no inspector marks.

In reading on the Internet I think I have found a rare gun?

I am afraid to touch it until I hear from knowledgable people. I would like to sand and varnish the stock and reblue the receiver, but wont if this will harm its value.

I was just looking to buy a beater SKS that I could modify with a larger mag (I live in Texas) and other simple changes, but I sure wont if this is a valuable gun. I only paid a "beater" price for it.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.