NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    10-31-2014 @ 02:00 AM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    07:13 PM

My M1 Carbine?

I am very new to this forum so forgive me if I seem awkward on here. I am interested in finding information on my 30 Caliber M1icon Carbine. It was my Grandfathers and he left it to me at his death. It is supposed to have been in WWII but as it is in like new condition, I have my doubts. It is a Winchester, Ser number 6580xxx. At the front top of the receiver is marked "US Carbine Cal 30 M1". At the front of the barrel on the left side it has "Blue Sky/Arlington VA" the only other mark is a M with a line on the mag release. (for Mag Release I assume) Can anyone help me learn anything about my gun? Thanks
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    04-24-2024 @ 03:24 PM
    Real Name
    Garrett Bragg
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    08:13 PM
    First off, welcome to the forum! You'll love it here!

Now I'm not sure what you meant by "it was supposed to have been in WWII." If you're meaning that it was supposed to be your grandfather's service rifle from WWII, then there's a simple answer.. It wasn't. The import stamp "Blue Sky/ Arlington" means it was imported from somewhere later after WWII. Now if you were simply saying it was used in WWII... Depending on the serial number (telling us what year it was made), it could have been, but no one will ever know for sure.

As to any other info, you'll have to post pictures of all the parts and their markings, and most importantly the rifle itself.

Looking forward to seeing it and enjoy the forums!

3. Thank You to garrettbragg12 For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Bob
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    05:13 PM
    Welcome to the forum, John! Some of the companies that brought these guns back into the US in the 80's and 90's completely refinished them, and installed new stocks. I have one that looks just like new. It came from Arlington Ordnance, which I believe was the successor to Blue Sky Productions. The "M" on your magazine catch stands for "modified." The magazine catch was redesigned several times for improved function. The ones with the underlined M are equipped with a lug on the left side that helps support the extra weight when using the 30 rd. mags. - Bob
    Last edited by USGI; 10-30-2014 at 02:19 AM.

6. Thank You to USGI For This Useful Post:

Last On
    04-22-2024 @ 08:41 AM
    Real Name
    John
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    Your rifle was most likely built in the Spring or early Summer of 1945. It would have come with a barrel band with a bayonet lug on it standard from Winchester. Given that it's Blue Sky import, the parts could be a complete mix or possibly even somewhat original from my experience with Blue Sky carbines. By the way, what marking does you barrel band have on it? There is thought to be some mixed use of barrel bands in your serial number range and I'm curious. Start by looking over on the left side for a C even with the swivel and go from there. Springfield Armory is another possibility. Those would be marked most likely on the right side with a SA.

I hope you enjoy your new carbine. 6.5 and higher Winchester carbines aren't something you see everyday.

8. Thank You to deldriver For This Useful Post:

(Deceased Nov 16th, 2019)

Last On
    01-14-2023 @ 10:08 PM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    John, welcome to the Carbine forum. We have an interesting and knowledgeable group of members who spend time here. If you have questions, ask, guys freely offer their experiences. There is also a search feature up in the task bar that can direct you to other threads or posts. Along with our sticky section of subjects guys wanted easy access.

Looking in War Baby III by Larry Ruth, under the "Summing Up the Winchester Program" there are pages of log book entries showing when Winchester marked their receivers. This is not a completed build date as there was still much to do before it became a finished carbine. But they show the last serial number applied to receivers each day. On page 1133 it shows your receiver was marked on April 21, 1945.

10. Thank You to JimF4M1s (Deceased) For This Useful Post:

Last On
    01-17-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    One has to remember that being serial numbered and being assembled are two different time frames. Sometimes as much as 6 to 8 weeks difference. Yes the Blue Sky's were imported from Korea. Being a 6.5 million Winchester means it would have all of the late updates to start with. All of the parts except pins, springs and rods should be stamped with a W.

Last On
    06-07-2023 @ 08:25 PM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    Well, take a look at this one:
    WINCHESTER M1icon CARBINE 30 CAL UN-FIRED EXC COND : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

I would guess it's similar to yours. If so, the chalky gray finish, stripped wood, & Blue Sky import marking indicates that it has been refinished by the Korean Army prior to being brought back in the '80s. If you are interested in the value, you can follow this auction.

Neal

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Bob
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    I'd say new wood on that one. - Bob

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    07-21-2019 @ 06:36 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    06:13 PM
    I agree with Bob. It's definitely new wood. It looks like mahogany or a similar Asian species of wood that may have been used in Korea. It's definitely not walnut.

Jim
    Last edited by U44; 10-30-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Last On
    04-24-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Local Date
    05-03-2024
    Local Time
    U44, i think your correct, that wood looks like Asian or Afromasia Wood, there is this grip maker RJP Grips uses all type of woods and i've ordered 4 differemt sets of grips for my CZ handguns ands he sends you a bunch of sample pics and that wood looks like Asian type wood, i bet its very lite weight.

Frank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast