Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chadwick View Post
"The rear sight appears to be a M1879 Carbine sight ( marked with a "C" on the side )."
Agreed. See Frasca/Hill p.84.

"The block is actually marke"d 1873"
You may well be right, but...

1) The last figure could be a 3" or an 8. Perhaps dttuner can clarify this? I thought it was an 8.

2) I am aware that there was no such thing as an "official" Model 1878. But, as the authors point out, there were numerous in-between versions.
On the page I cited the 4th breech block from the left appears to be marked US Model 1878. Maybe it's just my poor eyesight?
This version/edition/variation, call it what you like if you don't like the word Model - although that is what is stamped on it - has the rounded shoulder of the 1884 version. The versions clearly marked 1873 all have square shoulders.

3) In any case, the rifle appears to be a mixture. The stock appears to be made for a rifle with screw-clamp bands, hence the lack of band springs.

4) As the unfortunate object is way off being a "correct" collector's item, surely dttuner's first priority is to get it going as a shooter?
It looks like an "1873" to me. Although the "18" is basically worn off.

The band spring slots have been filled-in and refinished, however they are also in the wrong place for these barrel bands.
Either the stock is all wrong, or the barrel bands are wrong. Can't say.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by m1903rifle View Post
..... the later M73 blocks were interchangeable with the M84 blocks, and were installed until they ran out of them. The receiver is actually a M84 receiver.
Thanks for this information!

Quote Originally Posted by m1903rifle View Post
The rear sight appears to be a M1879 Carbine sight ( marked with a "C" on the side ).
Cool, thanks!

Additional marking -
- Under the stock, there is a line on receiver and barrel which line-up (surely for barrel>receiver mounting reference), with a small "D" next to it.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Just noticed on the Lock plate, there's an "O" to the right of the "C".
See it?