The Model 97 experts here have been helpful to me in the past, so I thought I'd float this question to the group:

When examining a purported "original" early WWII configuration M97 (6 hole handguard, WB stock, '41 bbl), would the LACK OF a patent stamp on the left side of the handguard barrel enclosure be cause to question the authenticity of the handguard?

Canfield states early production WWII handguards should be "similar, if not identical to, the WWI variety." He also states in the WWI section of his book that all later model WWI 6-hole handguards have the "PAT.JAN.15 & MAR.19.1918" stamp on the left side of the barrel enclosure.

So, the question being, has anyone seen a known-original example of a early WWII M97 with a 6-hole handguard lacking the patent stamp? If not, are we to assume that such an example would be a replacement/incorrect handguard?

Thanks guys. I know this is an 'in the weeds' question, but as we all know, the devil's in the details.

--David
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.