I have limited exposure to these having only seen about 15 or so. However I have noticed something and wondered whether it is pure coincidence or not. The only ones i have seen with 3" chambers for commerical ammunition were all dated 1949 (post independnce I think) they also did NOT look like they were converted from No.1 rifles (no stamps on buttsocket etc), though admittedly this is a small data set (about 6 rifles). the other ones i have checked out were definitely converted from Britishicon or Indian made No.1 Mk3 or 3* rifles, still had buttsocket stamps to indicate dates etc, were chambered at 2 1/" for the fireformed 303 cases and the date on th left of buttsocket was 1947 / 48. First question is: Did they make these from scratch as 410 single shots post 1948? Second is, is this just coincidence due to small sample size or did they consciously decide to go to 3" for commercial ammo when independent and maybe they weren't using british supplied ammo any longer?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.