I got a chance to take the ol' Pattern 14 to the range today and give some of my hand loads a shot. Using a 180 gr. Spitzer pushed by 45 gr. of H4350 and I'm happy as a clam. 100 yards and about a 1" group, minus a flyer. Far better than the 174 gr. FMJ PPU factory loads I was shooting with it as comparison, which put about a 4" group.

So, here's my debacle and where I thought I'd try to see if someone can give me some insight. I'm dead on bull with the rear sight set at the 300 yard mark. I realize that there's no 100 yard mark, but I'd like to see about getting it sighted in as much as possible.

With that in mind, if I start looking at a replacement front sight, how much difference should I have between actual hits at 100 yards vs. the 200 yard mark. I'm about 2-3" low at the 200 setting now, but 300 puts me dead on.

I need to order some more 180 gr., as I was just using some loose ones I bought with a lot of bullets and brass. I've got some 150 gr. to use for the Enfields (have a No 1 Mk II and No 4 Mk I, as well), Arisakaicon, and maybe some Mosin reloads, so I'll also put them through at the range at some point to see how they perform.

Tanks in advance!

FWIW, a 1916 dated Remington that's been through refurb. Sits in an Eddystone Fatboy stock. Officially one of, if not the favorite in the collection. However, the 2/17 dated Winchester M1917 is right there with it.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.