OOOO-RAH! Fist pump.

I just acquired a really (!) nice Mauser rebuilt to 7.62 NATO caliber by the Israelis. 1940 Sauer & Sons receiver. Interesting markings artfully and subtly applied. Nice trigger. Even, consistent parkerized finish. Lovely golden beechwood stock and handguard with nary a ding or crack. The bore shines like a new Roosevelt dime. Muzzle crown pristine and tight.

Alas, "nothing is perfect, except in the mind of God." Problem is that its missing the rear sight - elevator ramp, spring and slide assembly.

I seem to remember reading (somewhere can't find it) that the Izzy's replaced the rear sight with one calibrated to the 7.62 NATO trajectory when they did the rebuild. Is this correct?

So - do I need to find an Israeli rear sight to bring the rifle back to proper trim? Or is a normal wartime one for 8x57 appropriate?

I'm hot to trot to get some groups on paper! After I get the sights sorted out, I'll take it to the range and post the results.

Also does anyone have a particular .308/7.62x51 ammo that has shot well in their gun?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.