All,

I'm trying to repair a sporterized 1903A3 Springfield "C" stock that was cut ahead of the lower barrel band. I picked up a fore-end repair piece from Dupage for the project so I have the correct piece to fix it but I'm not sure how to go about attaching it correctly.

I've made a few attempts to reattach the fore-end so far but I've not been able to keep from breaking after about 10 rounds or so. My initial attempts used wooden dowels to "pin" it and a small bridge of scrap wood to prevent it from pulling apart put this didn't work. I suspect the dowels were not long enough and wood bridge actually splintered.

I'm using a recommended wood glue from "Garret Wade" but it seems to be too brittle and has cracked from the shock after a couple of rounds were fired. For my next attempt I've bought brass all-thread since I believe the wooden dowels are inadequate and I was thinking of building a more substantial bridge from a piece walnut routed into a groove between the two pieces but I need to find an adhesive that will hold it all together (both metal and wood, maybe JB Weld?).

My question, what method do you use to do this? It appears to be a common fix (the repair pieces are readily available anyway) but I can't seem to make it strong enough to hold together for repeated shooting. The rifle will be a shooter so it needs to be pretty tough.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stretch

- I posted this in the "1903" section as well since I wasn't sure where it should go.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.