Tom,

Please pardon my tardy reply!

I'm pleased to read that you're still in the M1903 collecting community. I look forward to seeing pictures of your latest acquisitions. You always come up with some neat stuff!

I noted the unusual parts on your 1939 NM rifle. I, too, have noted earlier sights on real late NM rifles and didn't quite know what to make of it. Your rifle indicates that SA was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I have a document found in the National Archives from the Chief of Ordnance dated 6 Feb 1940 recommending that the M1icon rifle be used in the National Matches of 1941. The Chief of Ordnance went on to add that they could not furnish M1903A1 NM rifles if the rifles were no longer in production. The National Matches of 1940 were the last fired with the M1903A1 rifle.

You have a splendid 1914 star-gauged sales rifle. As you know, not all sales rifles were marked "N.R.A." Some were sold to military officers and other persons with the right connections. I would be grateful to receive the serial number and barrel date of your 1914 rifle for my data base if it's convenient.

Thanks again for sharing!

J.B.