One of the more difficult issues surrounding the restoration of any item is deciding, when a part needs attention, whether to repair or replace. I purchased a 1907 bayonet by Chapman at a militaria fair last year and, slightly embarrassingly, I didn't notice that someone had ground a slice out of the side of the cross guard, taking a little wood off one grip in the process. The reason why anyone would consider it necessary to grind the side of the cross guard is a complete mystery. I have built up the missing metal with weld, very carefully placed in the required place on the cross guard and then dressed back to size.

The dilemma which I have are the wood grips which, on one side, are damaged by the grinding of the cross guard and on the other, around the screw/nut counter bores. I have a pair of new old stock grips which I could use as replacements or I could try to tidy up the originals by taking a slither off the surface and then light sanding. With these grips I don't believe that I can remove all the damage by reducing the thickness because it will likely make them too thin.

I am open to suggestions and thoughts from members on whether it's better to replace the grips but lose the Patina/history or retain the originals, trying to make them look as best as possible, but having to put up with the obvious damage? I don't think that there is a right or a wrong answer here but I would appreciate a reason for answering in a particular way, please.

Thank-you for any advice.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.