I love surprises! I was digging in some boxes of old gun junk and tactical stuff in long term storage in the garage, and found my two well worn, beat up, 40 round AR180/AR15 factory mags from when I had my first Sterling AR180 as an LEO trunk weapon in the 1980s. I had two factory 20s, two Sterling factory 30s, and the two aftermarket 40s. The 40s were "no-names", and did not work reliably. I stuffed them away with some old gear tactical gear from back in the day, figuring two 20s and two 30s were enough. I had totally forgot about them in the ensuing years, as I had pretty much written them off as junk back then.

I was a bit dismayed, as they had gotten some surface rust pitting on the outsides from being stored for 30 years. First thing I did (after cleaning the rust off nd oiling them up) was to replace the springs with Chrome Silcon replacement springs, and the followers with Magpul Gen IIs. The followers I took out were like early plastic 20 round followers. No wonder they wouldn't feed from a full mag. Anyway, since they also fit AR15s, I'll try them and see if they work any better now. I may just ship them off to my buddy in Nevada to put with the AR180 lower half, or I may just keep them here.

Here they are in my "Featureless" NDS18S build. They look cooler in the the Costa Mesa, though.