Quote Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
The headless cocking piece was first produced in 1921 and became standard in on the 1924 NM rifles. In 1930 the headless cocking piece was discontinued as standard on the NM rifle, but was available until the supply was exhausted. In 1936 the Headless cocking piece was disallowed on the "service rifle" for the National Matches. I believe that the reversed safety came in to being in 1921 at the suggestion of K.K.V. Casey, one of the more famous rifle shots of the 1920's. Incidentally he died from an ingrown toe nail which became infected. I believe that the reversed safety which was introduced on the 1921 NM rifles and was never disallowed.
I see that your rifle has the Lyman 48S sight instead of the Lyman 48C. The 48S was common on the NRA Sporting type while the NM usually had the 48C.
FWIW.
Well, it's a Frankengun and nothing surprises me as back in the day, people just had to tinker with things. I live in NC Missouri and I almost never have seen any milsurp that hasn't had a hacksawed barrel in Linn County It's just a pity I can't shoot it at Camp Perry......ptooey!!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.