Sat at work all day pondering my problem with my new rifle stringing its shots at a 45 degree angle (previous post). Came home, neck sized a case, stuck a bullet in the end of the empty case and chambered it. Bullet is a 165 gr boat tail, and only 0.045" of bullet bearing surface was in the case neck.

It was getting dark so I loaded up 5-rounds real quick using this bullet seating depth (really long rounds - won't fit in magazine and they look like little ballistic missiles) with a light crimp. Fired two rounds - side by side POI's, third round had primer in sideways (I know, I know) and blew gas and a surprising amount of smoke in my face but did not detonate powder, fourth round didn't fire at all (I suspect glycerin on my hands while loading primers), and fifth round hit beside first two. Three shots covered by a quarter 1" to the right of the bullseye and primer dust in my face (I was wearing shooting glasses). Either the throat is worn to bejeezes, or it has been throated big time.

Three shots prove nothing, but I suspect I have found my problem. I think someone was shooting some very long and heavy bullets. I will fire much longer strings tomorrow while you guys are at work.

Jim
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.