Threaded View

Last On
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Local Date
    05-08-2024
    Local Time
    10:30 PM

m1903 refurb

Hello. I have a late 1942 m1903. From what I have seen on the inter webs - production was fully turned over to the 1903a3 in early December 1942, and my number puts it in late sept. or early oct.
    It's in fantastic condition, but with much dried grease. The barrel matches the serial date (9-42), and looks never or rarely ever fired - bright metal came out after wiping out with broil, and my borecam shows tool marks on the lands still! The stock looks NOS scant as there are no markings/cartouches.

My first question is on cleaning up the rear sight. I have it all disassembled, except for the leaf spring in the base. Plenty of crud under the raised rear end.
    How to remove the leaf spring? It looks like there is a nipple on the spring fitting into a hole in the base - but pushing on the bottom or tapping with a punch on the bottom doesn't do anything. Last resort is to soak in penetrating oil and call it a day, but I would rather remove it, clean, and re-lubricate with a good forever-long lasting grease for posterity.

Second question - the finish is worn off the face of the ladder to the point if I question whether these were left bright, or blued, and the same for the windage graduations. Should I reblue it? Leave it bright? I'm thinking of bluing it, and then filling in the markings with a dull grey model paint to I can see it better, but not make it overly jenky lookin'. EDIT - Liberty Collectors shows used sights with black finish and whitened graduations.

My goal is to get it shooting (almost there). Long term consideration is a Hi-Lux USMC unertl and c-stock. I already have the latter from a different project. Last question - would the mounts hold sufficiently with lactate, without being soldered as well? I'd like the minimal option of switching back to its original configuration (sans the barrel and receiver tapped holes of course).
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by ssgross; 03-01-2020 at 11:51 AM.