I finally found the problem with my stringing shots. The only reason I am confessing to this is that someone may have the same problem someday, otherwise I would keep my goober mouth shut for once.

It was the trigger. I initially wanted to take full advantage of the A5 scoped rifle, so I had put an aftermarket trigger in to "improve" my accuracy. It evidently was bearing on something, because I finally got disgusted and jerked it out, put the old trigger in to put the rifle back in the rack, and just for grins, I decided to shoot a 75 yard group (had been sighting in an open sighted Siamese Mauser in 45-70 with 55 grs 3031 behind 300 gr Sierras and I needed a break). First five shot group from that old Springfield had all five shots in one ragged hole at 75 yards. Moved back to 100 yards and got several nice 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" groups with the usual 3-shot cloverleafs and two out a bit. That SA 12-15 barrel can still put them in the black. After shooting those full bore 45-70's, that 30-06 felt like a 22. Needless to say, I feel a bit sheepish.

Moral of story - don't change what SA spent so much time refining.

OK, let me have it. I know I should have checked, but the trigger?

Jim

PS
I finally bit the bullet and got the glasses I have need for some time. They came in yesterday. I can see again! It makes it possible for me to shoot open sighted rifles, but I look a bit like Ben Franklin.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.