I recently ran across a Winchester model 95 musket and it got me wondering. When the Russians contracted with Winchester to make rifles, why wasn't the P14 chosen? Wasn't Winchester already making P14's in that era? It seems to me that the P14 would have been a better/easier fit than the 95.

I got out a P14 and a Mosin-Nagant along with some 7.62x54R cartridges to see what looked like changes would need to be made. The fifth cartridge would almost fit in the P14, so some magazine box alterations needed. Feed rails, bolt face & extractor, chamber (bore is OK), clip slots, sight graduations changed to arshins (sp) or meters, etc. Certainly changes no more drastic than needed to change to the model 1917. I would not think that the Brits would object any more strongly to the Russians using their design than the Americans appropiating it.

I have never heard of anyone modifying a P14 to take the Russianicon cartridge. It wouldn't be a useful enterprise since the cartridges are so similar in performance.

Thoughts, anyone?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.