Threaded View

Last On
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Local Date
    05-15-2024
    Local Time
    07:04 PM

1942 Bayonet, Real or Fake?

Was browsing a not so local antique shop and came across an 1942 16" bayonet, priced low from I've seen recently - $265. I had to wait until I had decent enough internet access to do more research and left it behind, family in the area can stop back there and pick it up if it turns out to be worth it.
    The year matches my M1icon so I'm moderately interested in it, but it had some issues that warranted more information. It appeared to be in excellent condition but of poor fit and finish, and I am just familiar enough with the Wilde WT manufacturer, but I only found that it's rare, which would be incentive to fake.
    I had an E-US postwar bayonet in the truck that I compared. The finish appeared to be a grainy dark rough finish over heavy sanding. The blood groove is not sharp but is defined. The pommel was particularly rough, and wasn't as round as the postwar, and had flat "faces" like a gemstone. The grips were very poor fitting, and did not touch the metal of the pommel at almost any point. The scabbard is like new, USN marked. There could have been spots of re-park over pitting on the blade, which was the only indication I had that it could have been real.
    I had somewhat decided in the store that this was a Atlanta Cutlery type replica given the poor fit, perfect scabbard, and heavy applied even finish. I did basic research and asked here to cover my bases. If real, I assume it might have been re-arsenaled for use in a later war, but in that case would it have likely have also been cut down to the more common 10"?
    I could not get as many pictures as I ordinarily would, phone went off the side of a boat and couldn't load a borrowed phone up with surplus weapon pictures.

If this turns out to be gold I can send someone to pick it up on my behalf.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5623.JPG‎
Views:	243
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	132878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5624.JPG‎
Views:	226
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	132879  

2. Thank You to BVZ24 For This Useful Post: