Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Real Name
    A. G.
    Local Date
    05-10-2024
    Local Time
    07:29 AM

MLM MK II*-minor resto

I wouldn't call this a restoration; more of a minor correction back to it's original configuration. This rifle came to me four months ago. I was at my local range and an older gentleman saw that I was shooting a couple of No4 T's. We struck up a conversation about old guns (he was shooting an 1898 Kragicon) when he mentioned he had a Lee Metford. He asked if I knew what a lee metford was and I told him I did. He explained it was a MLM MK II* made by Sparkbrook. I asked if he was interested in selling it. He did say he was considering it, but did warn there were a few things wrong with it, like a recoil pad installed where the brass buttplate used to be, and a few missing items. I told him this was not an issue, as I had a few spare Long Lee pieces in my parts bin, including a Long Lee butt stock. We exchanged numbers, and parted ways.

In May, I received a text from him with several pictures of the MLM Mk II*. It was missing it's dust cover, proper chained magazine, the handguard, and of course, the modified butt. The loop that used to hold the chained mag was broken off. We agreed on $800 and it came home with me. Here it is at my house:

A matching numbers Sparkbrook MLM Mk II* produced in 1896, and overhauled by the Plymouth Naval Depot in 1913. Heck, even the rear sight still matches!

Fortunately for me, I have been hoarding a small batch of Long Lee parts. When I pulled the rifle apart, I found something unusual; the buttstock, noscap and forend were numbered to one another, presumably when it was overhauled (?)

So with that in mind, I set about fitting a spare brass buttplate to the original stock. I wanted to keep as much of the original pieces as I could. The worst part was, the previous gunsmith had cut the stock off flat to install the recoil pad. Once removed, I spent several hours re-contouring the cut end so it would accept an original buttplate. Once fitted, I had to file down the edges of the plate to match the stock, which also involved removing a small amount of wood. Several coats of stain and RLO got it just about right.

It had a late war Lithgowicon SMLE magazine installed. This was swapped for the proper chained magazine and trigger guard assembly. I had a genuine Sparkbrook manufactured dust cover I have been hanging onto for at least 10 years. That went on, as did a spare handguard.

So here it is, before and after:

Last edited by smle addict; 09-15-2023 at 07:52 PM.

2. The Following 6 Members Say Thank You to smle addict For This Useful Post: