Last On
    09-09-2014 @ 08:24 PM
    Local Date
    05-07-2024
    Local Time
    06:18 AM

Does Bubba Blue?

Hi,

I wanted to get some advice from you guys about re-finishing a Ross MkIII...

I think we can all agree that permanently defacing a rifle of historical significance is a crime... I think we'd all agree that cutting a barrel or stock, or drilling a receiver, or even grinding off historical references and unit marks is all badness...

On the other hand, regular cleaning, stock oiling, and general maintenance is good...

What about refinishing metal... ie re-blueing? where does that stand? The rifle isn't being altered... all markings remain intact... and some would consider this maintenance...

What are your thoughts? Is re-blueing bad as part of the restoration process?

The reason I'm asking... I have a Ross MkIII that I just bought... The metal is decent, and the barrel is full length... I have a nose cap as well, so I was going to try splice a piece of walnut onto the front of the stock to restore it... The unit marks on the stock are all but gone... Here are some pics of the metal finish (sorry to those of you who have been seeing this on CGN alot lately)

Seeing as I am committed to redoing the stock (and re-altering its history)... The sporterizing process was a part of this rifle's history as well as mud and trenches... Should I re-blue it at the same time to make it look as good as I can... or should I just do the stock and leave the metal alone?

It shoots very well by the way... This is 2 groups at 100 yds...

Thanks for your input... I look forward to hearing your opinions.

EB
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Echo Bravo; 04-30-2009 at 07:20 PM.