+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Took my 601 and GAU-5A/A to the range today!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    09-19-2023 @ 12:24 AM
    Local Date
    06-23-2024
    Local Time
    11:25 AM

Talking Took my 601 and GAU-5A/A to the range today!

Headed out to the Como, MS range today today to bone up on my shooting skills for the Zombie shoot on Halloween. Took my 601, my GAU-5A/A, and my Israeli police trade-in FEG Hipower. Had a great time. My buddy George brought his S&W M4gery. First I shot the GAU. I mostly did 25 yard battle sight check, since it was windy as hell. I am going back in a couple weeks to do 100 and 200 yards with it. (The long range guys were having fits with the erratic gusts!) I mainly wanted to do a fine tune it in on the 1.25" below POA battle sight to be good for the Zombie shoot Halloween, and I had to spend most of my time on the pistol range shooting two pistols for magazine articles I am doing.

The GAU was first, and I had to dial it in, two right and one click back, but elevation was OK. Groups a little over an inch, which is not great at 100, even though it is a 16" barrel. The show pony was the 601 clone. Best group was 7/16" center to center, and average of 9/16" center to center. That should translate to about 2- 2.5 MOA. Not bad for is a late 60s vintage Vietnam CMPicon C (though I put CMP B on target-senior moment) 20" 1/12 barrel. My retros outshot the M4gery, by the way!

I don't have pretty girls in the range pictures, just a bald old Irishman (me).

Me with my faux-GAU-5A/A:

GAU target:

Me with the 601 clone:

601 targets:

I also shot my buddy's S&W M&P-15 M4gery. Oh my God! He took a perfectly delightful 6 pound carbine and made it a 10 pound rifle: rails, grips, bipod, light, laser, scope with a mini-EOTech on top. Ugh. It had a 9 pound lawyer trigger (which I am going to correct for him). I prefer any retro to it, and even prefer my M1icon Carbine for CQB rather than the tacticool M4gery.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to imarangemaster For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    06-23-2024
    Local Time
    09:25 AM
    You would need to rest your chin on the tube to use the doctor dot on top of the ACOG...I tend to side with you. I don't need the forward assist or any of the fancies. Basic gun with iron sights. It worked for years. Unfortunately my M4gery has morphed a bit. Kind of like us, we got grey hair and it grew stuff.
    Regards, Jim

4. Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

5. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Advisory Panel

Last On
    06-09-2023 @ 04:20 AM
    Local Date
    06-23-2024
    Local Time
    12:25 PM
    That "waffle" magazine is just ever so nifty! Those old 20" 1-12" twist barrels usually shoot quite well, chrome lining and all, just don't sling it up tight.

This is about as fancy as I care to go with an AR carbine, but it's "only" 8 lbs (and TOO much money!). But it's capable of quick hits to 500m :

But it's just hard to beat light and simple!

6 lbs, maybe 5lb 14 oz., with night sights.
    Last edited by jmoore; 10-03-2011 at 08:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread