Hi there,

I've been reading here for quite some time now and I must admit it's one of the best internet platforms for surplus rifles. Well, and at least until now I had nothing to add here - until some picture comparison made me wondering about the P17 finger grooves. I continued doing some research, but didn't find an answer.

Can anyone tell me the if there were two different types of finger grooves on the M1917 and for what reason? I've had until now 7 of those rifles and noticed differences.
You might take a look on my Eddystone (upper in picture) and Winchester (lower in picture) P17. They're both not refinished, good visible stock markings and far too much wood around magazine and butt plate for being sanded or reproductions
Attachment 10371

Doing research on the internet (auctions etc.) also gave both finger grooves as a result and the book by Charles R. Stratton didn't answer my question.

As far as I remember both stocks are E marked, so this might not be depending on where they were made?

Regards,

Georg
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.