Colt 1911 Forum Post:

I recenctly acquired a very nice Colt 1911, serial number 72,xxx, and paid about $400 which is worrisome since I was not in a place or had the time to do alot of research on the gun. My internet studies and field testing show its a great 1911 and good shooter, but that three problems that i have identified are really going to hurt its value, but I am unclear as to how much its value will suffer-your comments and ideas are appreciated.

Problems:
1. United Statesicon Property on left side of colt is missing, and has been rather crudely scratched off, its very apparant although my pics dont show it very well. Was this common to remove this marking, and why? By the way, all other inspector stamps, the colt pony, and other marking are very nice, just USP was removed.

2. Lets get the grinder after it! Look at the nifty cross hatching marks on the frame beneath the trigger guard, and on the grip safety. Anyone ever seen this done before? It appears a very old modification, I suppose to improve grip.

3. Piece under the grip safety is later model, and without laynard, although I have been told that piece if findable and I have a big gun show coming up-what would a fair price be?

Thanks for any ideas. I am glad I bought it, and likely would not give it back because the rest of the gun is in such great shape, but I would like to know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.