I picked up a California legal SKS today thinking I was getting a decent rifle. Upon closer inspection I'm now wondering about that.

The grenade launcher was removed and a muzzle break installed and spot welded.

When purchased the bore had a slight layer of cosmolineicon in it while allowing the rifling to be clearly seen hid what appears to be a too deep weld which corresponds to all outward appearances the outside weld. The mark on the inside is very slight, does not appear to be a crack but a slightly raised surface that isn't noticable unless really looking for it. It goes about 1/3rd around the inside of the barrel.

The bore is very bright and shiny and otherwise the rifle looks to be in near new condition.

My concern is this thing blowing the end of the barrel off or blowing the muzzle brake off because of the weld.

Am I being over cautious?

I could easily cut the brake off and re-crown the barrel but would prefer having the break on if it is not a safety issue.

Not knowing much about these things I would assume firing a few rounds would remove the raised surface........or blow the end of the barrel off.

Any thoughts?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.