I am new to this forum and this is first post to the AR listings. I have a question concerning "adjustments/fittings". When I have a steel part and it does not fit into the hole in the lower or upper, the part is just too tight! Should I take metal off the aluminum or the steel part? I immediately want to say the steel part. Then repark the part. This way I do not remove the hard anodized skin off the aluminum. But, then I have a receiver that is non standard and a steel part fitted to just this one lower/upper. In every case I have found the aluminum part to be a fault. Olympic lower and various maker components.

I have had to open up the mag release hole and a couple of pin holes. Say I removed maybe .006 to .010.

What is the rule (if any). To be honest I have taken off the aluminum as it is so easy to deal with, a little black felt tip or touch up and all is good. We will never cycle a mag release enough to wear into the aluminum and I figure there is at least .015 of anodize there anyway.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.