Howdy all and sundry,

Just realized I am becoming a m1917 collector since I have procured two in the last four months. My first foray into them was about four years ago when I picked up a butchered Eddystone from a pawn shop. Great rifle that shot one inch, five-shot groups with iron sights at two hundred yards. I blame the rifle, not my skills. Never had owned a gun that would do that, so when I came upon a sported up Winchester 17 at a pawnshop I grabbed it up. A couple of weeks ago I snagged another Remy 17 from another pawnshop. I took two fine Georgia bucks this last season with the Winny, and just zeroed the Remy with the Weaver V8 the came with the Winchester.

Both old guns shoot consistent one inch groups at 100. The Winchester has one of the old blondish weatherby looking california heavy monte carlos with a faux ivory forearm cap, and grip cap. It would look better on safari, but suits me just fine for whitetails. The Remy has a beautiful classic lined walnut stock with a medium cheekpiece. The butt plate says Interarms, but I don't know if they did the sporterizing or not. Beyond the ordinance markings and Remington name on the front action ring the barrel is stamped on the lefthand side "m1917 enfield .30 06 sp" It is rather crudely stamped but is blued over suggesting a reblue before sale. Anyone know who made these markings on these rifles? The barrel has been crowned, and the bolt handle straightened.

Both of these rifles are awesome, and I am glad to see there is a community out there of people who love them. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.