I haven't posted in a while because I haven't been out shooting the military rifles in a very long time.

I finally got out to the range last week with a few rounds for testing in a couple of Jungle Carbines with stock sights and my stock old eyes.

Loaded up some Lyman 314299's from a mould I lapped and Beagled to get 0.305" nose and 0.315" body, and some boolits from a homemade mould that weigh in at 315 grs. Both lubed with LLA.

Powders used were IMR 4198 @ 21.6 grs. (Lee dipper)
IMR 4895 @ 32 grs. (Lee dipper)

All topped off with COW.

The 4198 loads were without gas check and the 4895 loads were with gas checks.

Most groups were 2" +/- at 50 meters for both boolits with a few shots pulled due to shooter error (lack of practice).

Best groups:

- 4 shots in 1"x3/4" with a flier 1" out (likely pilot error); 4198 load under 314299; my gun
- 4 shots in 1"x1": with a flier waaay out (? my son was shooting but I suspect he pulled it); 4895 under 314299; my son's gun

25 to 30 rounds were shot through each gun and not one bit of leading.

This wasn't a very organized or scientific outing but the loads show promise. I will do some more loading and take the chronograph next time.

I haven't shot much in some time (at least rifle) so need the practice!

kent9497
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.