This is my first post on here so please be patient with me. I've always wanted a 1903 and usually look for them whenever I visit a gunshop. One of my local shops has one and I can afford it right now so I'm debating on going back tomorrow and making a purchase. I was wondering if you folks could tell me a little about the gun and let me know what an acceptable price should be.

The receiver is a Springfield Armory with a serial number of 818264. From what I've gathered from this and other websites that means it was manufactured in 1918 and has a heat treated receiver meaning it is safe to shoot with factory ammo.

Here is a picture of the receiver:

The stock is appears to be a "Scant" stock of the WWII variety. Here's a pic:

The barrel is marked "HS (bomb proof) 8 44"

I interpret this to mean the barrel is 1944 production and was probably added when the gun was rearsenaled probably the same time it got the scant stock. The gun appears to be clean and looks to be in the same condition as most CMPicon Service Grade Garands I've seen.

Am I correct in my assumptions about this gun? What would be a fair price for it as described?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.