Thread: New (to me) BREN - would it be appropriate for Inglis '44 to have MkI barrel?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    04-10-2011 @ 03:48 PM
    Local Date
    06-23-2024
    Local Time
    02:48 PM

Cool New (to me) BREN - would it be appropriate for Inglis '44 to have MkI barrel?

Just got a newly converted semiauto BREN built up from an original Inglis '44 parts kit. You may notice that it has some "tiger stripes", those are from welding up the receivers. They didn't take parkerize, but the look actually grew on me for some reason. I suppose I could always paint the gun if necessary.

It originally came with a MkI barrel (with the aluminum muzzle cone), but I got a MkII barrel in the final finished form. Even though the MkI barrel looks real nice and is what's in my mind a quintessential BREN look, I'm thinking it's more appropriate if I match up the MkII parts with MkII gun. I'm still curious however, whether the MkI/II parts were ever mixed up, especially barrels?

Also, I noticed this BREN had "Inglis '44" marked on a raised area on receiver (see pic below). I'm wondering what's going on with that raised area (whether it's left unmilled, or had other areas milled down further?). The other BREN photo I've seen typically have the marking made right on the receiver, but not in some raised area?

Lastly, here's a pic of the BREN with its older brother ZB26. I really enjoy having both as a comparison. Does anyone know why BREN design used to a shorter gas system. Was it for the .303 ammo, or does the short system actually make the gun more reliable?
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by ZB26; 04-03-2011 at 03:05 AM.