Hello im new here so ill apoligize in advance for any noobness on my part befor i get to my question . I recently aquire for the low price of $85 a Rock island arsenal 1903 rifle seriel number 424*** i looke dit up and if im correct it is made in 1919 . It has been mildly sporterized as far as i can tell it just had the stock changed the rear most part of the receiver was dovetailed and what appears to be the rear sight from a 22lr put in the dovetail and has a scope mount that sits in where the magazine cutoff should be .

It has a replacement barrel that is dated 9 44 but it appears to be the correct barrel type for the rifle it has a groove at roughly the 1 o clock position and a small groove int he bottom of the barrel which i assume are the grooves for the pins for the rear sight collar .I want to restore the rifle as much as possible to original looks not for collector value but just to be a nice shooter.

I have found and ordered the rear sight collar for the barrel but i do not know if the collar can be in stalled with the barrel already on the rifle ?
I also have had no luck finding the pins to hold the collar on so where can i find the pins ? or what are the measurements of the pins so i can make my own replacements ?

Sorry if the post was a little long winded i am excited about my project gun but i want to do it right. Ill Post pictures of the rifle as soon as a can
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.