Just received a Ross Model 1905 from an online auction and have some questions to determine if I need to return it. The rifle isn't quite as described and is missing a few more parts than was advertised (nothing to worry about). That being said, it looks like a very nice rifle with an excellent bore, VG finish on metal, and strong stock cartouches.

My questions:
There is a hole drilled (and looks threaded) in the barrel just to the rear of the rear sight. This hole looks to go at least half way into the barrel (maybe a little more). Is this anything to worry about or something normal (like the rear sight was updated)? The rear sight appears to be the standard rear sight found on II***'s (it is a US proofed Ross). I have seen a hole like this on another Ross but didn't know if it was normal or not.

There are two smaller holes on the bottom of the barrel just ahead of and behind the rear sight. These are much shallower (1/16th to 1/8 of an inch deep). Are these normal or an indication of someone messing around?

There appears to be a screw missing on the side of the bottom of the receiver. Is this screw easily replaced?

I'll try to take some pictures and post them here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.