I had some time today so I decided to detail strip, clean, inspect, and lubricate this piece. I found instructions on the web, which mostly addressed the more modern versions with roll pins. Mine is an Inglis no. 2 MK I*. The differences are minor enough that I was able to proceed. Here are my results:
  1. There is no visible wear internally. This reinforces my suspicion that the malfunction is not from wear.
  2. While there was some minor dirt, the piece was quite clean and definitely lubricated. My conclusion is that sticking from a crud buildup is a very remote possibility.
  3. My reference states that in the older models the extractor comes out like on an M1911. What I found was that it would slip back a ~4mm, and then could be turned to release the sear pivot-plate. Removal of the sear pivot-plate allowed the removal of the sear lever. Trying as hard as I could I could not get the extractor to slip out, even with the sear pivot-plate removed. It appears to catch on something. This is not critical, but I would like to know: what is the secret to getting the extractor the rest of the way out?
  4. I will be taking the pistol to the range this week, but in the probable event that the malfunction re-occurs, what is a recommended source for sear springs? I will probably order a complete set and replace them all. After 60+ years it seems like a good idea.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.