I have a 1941 Lithgowicon No 1 Mk III* that was given an FTR in, I believe, 1955. The barrel is dated June 1955 and MA 55 is lightly stamped on the left side of the butt socket. The right side shows the usual Lithgow, MA 1941 stamping. I've owned the rifle since 1979. It appears a previous owner may have refinished or stained the stock.

Although a joy to behold and possessing a new barrel, it is a poor shooter. It impacts low and as it gets hot, subsequent shots drop right out of the scoring rings in a vertical line on an SR 1 target at 100 yards. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Could someone point me in the right direction as to what might be wrong?

Thinking it might be a possible bedding problem, I have been motivated to take off the stock but can't do so because the little horizontal screw in the nosecap will not budge. It is the only screw on the rifle which is dinged up and if I apply to much pressure I'm afraid the slot will be mangled. I also notice the screw head seems to be on wrong side since most other rifles seem to have the screw head on the opposite side. I took a picture of this area.

My other question concerns the A F stamp on the receiver ring. Does anyone know what this means. I have not been able to find it in my copy of The Lee Enfield story by Skennertonicon.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.