A friend of mine called me Sunday evening and told me he had a friend that wanted to part with his grand fathers Ross rifle. I contacted the owner of the rifle and went to see it yesterday, worked out an agreement and I took it home today.

The original owner was Captain James Anderson Murray. He was in command of the Empress of Britain for several years, he also was also captain of the Empress of Ireland on a trip to Quebec. He became Montreal harbour master until he retired.

When WWI began he went to Halifax as Lieutenant-Commander James Anderson Murray, R.N.V.R. (Lieutenant, R.N.C.V.R.) - former Captain of the CPR liner, Empress of Britain (I) - assistant to Chambers and convoy liaison. He was killed in the Halifax explosion in 1917.
This was his personal target rifle
It is a 1905 Mark II** Civilian
The Ross is in great condition about VG ++.
The identical rifle is found in the Ross Rifle Story Page 174, Plate 119A. It does not have the bayonet lug extension like the picture, or the rear sight.
Barrel Length is 30 1/2", in VG condition with a target crown. It needs to be cleaned.
VG Walnut Stock
It does not have any Government acceptance marks.
The rear sight is BSA Martin, Britishicon Patent 5992/08. Picture is found in The Ross Rifle Story, Page 297, Plate 293A.
The front sight has a Pivited foresight hood, referred to as the Northover hood. The information is from The Ross Rifle Story, Page 242, Plate 220A

I hope to get some pictures up in a day or two.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.