04-09-2023 @ 08:59 PM
    Real Name
    Rick Slater
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    08:22 AM

OT: History in a small container

As some of you "old timers" know from the old CSPicon forum, I have a great interest in the Bataan-Corregidor campaign of 1941-42. Although I have wanted to visit, I doubt I ever will. I have a friend who shares my interest and went back to see his family on Luzon a month or two ago. He spent considerable research time before he left and while he was there, pinpointing the exact location of the Abucay Hacienda fight of January, 1942 on the Bataan Peninsula. It was some of the most intense fighting of the campaign and nearly resulted in the campaign on Bataan being over long before it was.

My friend said he could see shallow depressions probably left over from the fighting and his friends say they occasionally turn up cartridge cases and other residue left from the campaign.

To make a long story short, my friend kindly gathered up, in a small container, with soil from the area where the battles took place and sent it to me. I just got it in the mail.

My friend re-enacts as a Philippine Scout and has a very good website devoted to Scout history. I also got him turned on to the M1icon Garand, helping him buy his first one (he is a legal resident of this country). I walked him through (at a distance of 3000 miles) his first shooting experience with the M1. He will soon be purchasing a M1903 from me to complete his collection.

Just thought I'd share the picture of the container with you.

If you want to take a look at his website, here is the link:

http://pinoyhistory.proboards22.com/index.cgi
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-11-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

2. The Following 5 Members Say Thank You to Rick the Librarian For This Useful Post: